Thursday, December 27, 2012

TTC History

So I should probably give a history of our TTC journey.  I'm 27, DH is 29.  We've been TTC since November 2010, so over 2 years to this point.  Like most couples, we thought we would get pregnant right away...but for some reason, I always had doubt in the back of my mind.

We tried for about 1 year before going to see my OBGYN at the time.  She did some tests and said I wasn't ovulating (WRONG!).  I was completely naive thinking that they knew what they were doing and was on 3 unmonitored cycles of Clomid before deciding to go to an RE.  In February 2012, I went to an RE for additional testing, hoping to get a game plan.  At the time, everything looked good and the RE confirmed ovulation and all of our tests came back normal (SA, HSG etc).  After 2 more rounds of monitored clomid with TI and IUI#1, we decided to change fertility meds. The clomid was also giving me monster mood swings and headaches so I started taking femara and added in progesterone for 2 cycles with TI and IUI#2.  Still nothing. 

In college I was told that I had endometriosis, although the doctor could never confirm without surgery.  In July of 2012, we decided to do a lap and found stage II endometriosis that was all removed.  The doctor also found a polyp that he removed as well and said our changes increased by 50% in the next 6-12 months. 

After taking a few months off from medicated cycles after my surgery, we did one more cycle of femara and progesterone with IUI#3.  After that came back negative, I was searching the Internet for answers.  What's wrong? Why can't we be pregnant? We didn't have any answers.

I came across some awesome ladies (on the BUMP) who asked if I had my FSH and AMH levels tested for my ovarian reserve/egg quality.  Surely I had...since we did so much blood work back in February and this is a test RE's typically do when you first go see them.

I called my RE to see if these tests were done and what the results were.  Turned out, they didn't do the tests because I was only 27 and my periods were regular.  I asked to do the blood tests since we had already met our insurance maximums for the year...what's another test?  They strongly suggested I didn't need it...so I fought back saying "I JUST WANT TO KNOW"...it's another thing we can cross off our lists if everything is fine...which is exactly what we were assuming.

BOY were we wrong! Turns out, at 27, I have DOR.  My AMH levels came back at .23 and FSH levels at 11.1.  The nurse left me a message with this information saying..."your ovaries on are their way out"..."It's like you have 45 year old ovaries"...EXCUSE ME?

I was floored... I had to push to get this test done. I was frustrated...how much money and time did we waste? I was broken...what does this mean? Will we be able to have our own children? 

DH and I decided that it was time to change RE's.  How could we trust someone that treated us this way and didn't do any basic testing at the beginning of our medicated cycles? 

So in November, we made an appointment with a 2nd RE who so far, we have loved.  She's a straight shooter...telling us how it is, which I appreciate.  She likes to use the metaphor "this is the deck of cards you were dealt and we are going to do everything we can to make it a winning hand."

We will begin IVF with ICIS and PGS testing in February.  Right now, I'm on a slew of vitamins and supplements, doing whatever I can to help my egg quality.

This journey has been a struggle...something I never thought I would have to go through. I'm lucky in that my husband has been amazing. He's so supportive and has been my rock through everything.

3 comments:

  1. Sometimes you have to be an advocate for your health, good for you for pushing to have the AMH tested!!! Sorry it took so much to get them to agree, its frustrating!! Hopefully this cycle will be it for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. what RE are you seeing now? Who were you seeing before?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm at RRC now...was at MRC in KC.

    ReplyDelete